NOTE: Colorado school districts are required by law to adopt a regulation on this subject and the law contains some specific direction as to the content or language. This sample NOTE: Colorado school districts are required by law to adopt a regulation on this subject and the law contains some specific direction as to the content or language. This sample contains the content/language that CASB believes best meets the intent of the law. However, the district should consult with its own legal counsel to determine appropriate language that meets local circumstances and needs.
This regulation replaces former regulations IHAMB-R and IHAMC-R.
[Choose one of the following options in accordance with the option chosen on the accompanying policy.]
[Option 1: Requires students' parents/guardians to state a reason for requesting an exemption from a part of the district's health education curriculum not involving human sexuality.]
1. Exemption will be granted from a specific portion of the health education curriculum on the grounds that the material taught is contrary to the religious beliefs and teachings or closely held personal beliefs of the student or of the student's parent/guardian. If the request for the exemption is from a specific portion of the health education curriculum that concerns human sexuality, no reason must be given by the parent/guardian when requesting the exemption.
[Option 2: Does not require students' parents/guardians to state a reason for any requested exemption from any or all portions of the district's health education curriculum.]
1. Exemption will be granted from any portion of the health education curriculum upon the request of the student's parent/guardian.
End of options.
2. A request for exemption must be submitted in writing to the principal at least ______ school days in advance of instruction in that portion of the curriculum for which the exemption is requested.
3. The principal will confer with the teacher to determine the length of time a student will be exempt. The teacher will develop an alternative activity for which the student will receive credit.
4. The principal or teacher will inform the parent/guardian of disposition of the request within ______ school days of receipt of the request.
[Revised April 2014]
COLORADO SAMPLE REGULATION 1992©