The Board permits any student from any other district in the state to apply and enroll in the District schools free of any tuition obligation, provided that all procedures as outlined in the administrative regulations are met. Requirements include:
1. application procedures, including deadlines for application and notification to students of acceptance or rejection and the superintendents of other districts whenever another district's student's application is approved;
2. procedures for admission;
3. District capacity limits by grade level, school building and educational program are determined;
4. resident students and previously enrolled District students have preference over first-time applicants;
5. no requirements of academic, athletic, artistic or any other skill or proficiency;
6. no limitations on admitting students with disabilities, unless services required in an Individualized Education Program are not available in the District;
7. no requirement that the student be proficient in the English language;
8. no rejection of any applying student because the student has been subject to disciplinary proceedings, except an applicant who has been suspended or expelled by another district for 10 consecutive days or more in the term for which admission is sought or in the term immediately preceding the term for which admission is sought and
9. procedures to ensure maintenance of an appropriate racial balance in the District's schools.
The District cannot refuse to accept the credits earned by students who have participated in interdistrict open enrollment. The Board will not adopt a policy that discourages resident students from participating in interdistrict open enrollment.
Students in grades 9-12 are ineligible for athletics for the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests in the sports the student participated in during the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer, until the one-year anniversary date of enrollment in the school the student transferred to. Exceptions to the ineligibility provisions are outlined in the Ohio High School Athletic Association Bylaws.
[Adoption date: April 13, 2005]
[Re-adoption date: March 13, 2014]
LEGAL REFS.: ORC 3313.97; 3313.98
THIS IS A REQUIRED POLICY